There are many every day items you will need to purchase for your new Goldendoodle puppy. These items will provide a long life of great comfort and beauty that will allow both your puppy and you a more enjoyable time together.
We have compiled a list of some things we recommend you purchase for your Goldendoodle. This list may grow over time. If you need any other recommendations, please don’t hesitate to contact us and let us know!
Health and Food
TLC Whole Life Puppy Food– This is the exact food we feed our pups and something we recommend you buy and use. It is the best dog food we have ever come across. To order please use this link: http://www.tlcpetfood.com/default.asp?VIPCustomerID=63170&promoid=1025 or call them (877) 328-8400 and make sure you give them our name (Euro Goldendoodle).
A 30 lb bag of TLC Whole Life Puppy Food will last around 5 weeks for 1 puppy or adult so we recommend setting auto-shipping every 4 or 5 weeks. You have the world’s best dog and they deserve the world’s best food. To learn more, visit our TLC Whole Life Puppy and Dog Food Page.
NuVet– This is the best supplement on the planet we know of. No dog food gives the full nutrition needed and this chewable pill really helps fill the gap. We give one everyday to your dogs and they love it. It’s a treat to them.
You will want to order it right away so you will have it by the time you get your dog. NuVet has a ingenious program whereby they will notify the breeder every time one of their clients buys NuVet. It allows us to make sure our buyers are continuing to give healthy diet to their dog.
NuVet is very unique and you buy directly from NuVet. If you would like more information, please visit our NuVet Plus page.
We know NuVet isn’t the cure-all, but when our buyers use it we believe they are being careful in every area of their dog. You can order NuVet directly from them (no middle-man like Petsmart doubling the prices!). They are more expensive but that’s because the ingredients are so good. You can order from them by calling NuVet and giving them our breeder ID#70293.
You could also just click on the following link and it will insert our breeder ID in the order (you will not see our breeder ID anywhere if you click on the link but it does put it in your order for us to see): www.nuvet.com/70293.
NuJoint– NuJoint is made by the same company that makes NuVet. Though it’s not part of our warranty, we highly recommend its usage and give your puppies 1 NuJoint every day.
NuJoint is made for breeds like the Goldendoodles that are prone to hip and elbow dysplasia. It has ingredients that help quickly strengthen the bones and joints to minimize the chance even more. Dysplasia is only 50% genetic. The rest is diet and exercise and part of your diet should be NuJoint. When you order your NuVet make sure to add NuJoint to your order. Again, we highly recommend going with Autoship so you don’t ever run out and it saves your 15%. You can order through our NuVet link here: www.nuvet.com/70293.
Treats– Treats should only be given during a training session. It should not be given just because you “love” your puppy! Treats in excess will cause extreme weight gain and would lead to many problems like dysplasia, cancer and heart problems. We do want a treat though that the puppies REALLY love. The more they love it the more they will behave. There are a few treats that we have found that your pups love.
- Pet Botanics Mini Training Treats (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11450068).
- Chicken Hotdogs cut up in small sections. You can find this at most grocery stores.
- American Cheese cut up in small sections.
- Petsafe Lickity Stik (http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Lickety-Bacon-Chicken-3-Pack/dp/B005GYULZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355590132&sr=8-1&keywords=lickety+stick).
Dog Bed- The best dog beds we have found is a new bed called the “Bully Bed.” We just recently got this bed and really love it. These beds have high quality materials and come with a 10 year warranty, free shipping and free returns (you won’t return it!).
It’s a premium orthopedic bed and is washable, durable and comfortable. If you order it please put in the discount code “EGBB” and you will receive 5% off. You can find the bed here: http://bullybeds.com/products/bully-bed. Large is good enough but we personally like the X-Large for our bigger adults.
Accessories For Your Puppy
Collar– A 12 week old puppy is around 9-12 inches and the average 16 week old pup is around 10-15 inches. They do vary so we recommend if possible buying the collar after you get your puppy home to get the perfect fit. Many times our clients will drop by a pet store and get a perfect sized collar. All of our trained pups do not necessarily need to get a training harness because by the time the pups are 12 weeks old they are good at walking on a leash.
Leash – as you may have read on our website, we use a harness and 6-8 ft lead when we train our young pups. I personally recommend you waiting until you actually get your puppy and immediately take them to a pet store like Petco and Petsmart. Take them in the store and they can help fit your dog for a harness. Harnesses are also hard to learn to put on, tighten, etc. at first. Having a pet associate help you initially will be a great help. Also, your puppy is growing very fast. Every litter is different so there is no real standard size for the pups.
ID– We always recommend going to Petsmart/Petco and getting a plated ID that would connect to your puppy’s collar. He is microchipped but only a vet or animal shelter can read those. You will get a microchip card so you can register his microchip.
Chew Toys– Goldendoodles prefer stuffed animals or something soft to carry around. On the other hand, if they are a “de-stuffer”, then that will not be acceptable. Kongs then would be the best option. Bones are healthy but risky. They can break their teeth on a bone.
It is important to keep your Goldendoodle properly groomed. You will want to brush your Goldendoodle probably around once a week. They will have shorter coats while they are young, but will get thicker as they grow older. Honestly, there’s not as much work in their coats as you would think. Here are a few products we recommend for the regular grooming of your dog.
- Pet Shampoo– We do wash a lot of dogs and puppies and therefore we buy our shampoo in bulk. We do recommend though that you buy a puppy shampoo that is for sensitive skin. Goldendoodles are prone to hotspots and allergies so we recommend getting a higher than average quality pet shampoo. Usually a natural/organic shampoo with oatmeal is sufficient.
- A regular 2-1 combination brush is sufficient for most of your brushing. You can find these at every petstore and Walmarts (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3738204&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo).
- Nail Clippers– We have used many nail clippers. The best ones we have found to use are “plyer-style” clippers like the one in this link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plier+style+dog+nail+clipper&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aplier+style+dog+nail+clipper . You can find them at most places. We don’t like using any other kinds.
- To dry your dog– We would recommend using a higher quality dog dryer than a regular hair dryer. It will take you much longer to dry with a regular hair dryer. When you bathe your dog you definitely want to dry them out. If you let them air dry then that will many times cause hot spots as well as getting them to shed slowly in your house. If you brush your dog as you dry them outside then you will get most of their hair. We have a very professional k9 dryer but that would be overkill for your family. Something like a Metro Air Force Commander dryer will be sufficient (http://www.amazon.com/Force-Commander-2-Speed-Dryer-Motor/dp/B00063KHPE).